Received my new 106 lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received my new 106 lower unit

Got my SEI lower unit today and got it installed.

No doubt, it is a nice unit. I did notice a few small things, but nothing major -
    1) When you receive the unit, the oil seal that goes between the upper and lower units is glued/sealed to the new lower unit. On mine, the glue/sealant was uneven to the point that part of the seal was riding out of the recessed area and would most likely have cut the seal and certainly wouldn't have sealed. Not a big deal - I cleaned out the glue/sealant and installed it the normal way.
    2) I noticed before the install that the rubber seal that is embedded in the water pump housing was not there. I called and asked about it - got a hold of their Tech Support quickly (it was amazing actually) and was told yes, you definately need that. Sooo, I went and bought one locally and continued.

This next one - I'm not real sure it is an issue...probably not. As I was installing the drive, I could get it mated up with about 1/16" maybe 1/8" gap between the upper and lower and couldn't seem to get it to mate up. I pulled it back off and checked everything. All looked good - the water tube had lined up well because the new rubber seal I had put on stayed on the copper tube along with the white guide tube. I went back together and got to the same point, maybe a little closer. I went ahead and began to snug it up with the nuts - there was no additional resistance at all. I am thinking that maybe the copper tube was bottoming out on the rubber seal and pump housing and then just shoved the copper tube a bit further into the upper unit.

The engine run here at the house was good - water flow was good, shifting was fair (probably needs a slight adjustment), and I didn't really notice any odd noises. Of course this all may change when I put it in the water tomorrow.

The casting and paint/finish looks excellent. I was impressed with how quickly I was able to speak to someone from Customer Support. So far, a good unit at good price......I'll be on the water tomorrow.

Went out yesterday and ran for 2.8 hours. Once I put her in the water and had a load on the drive train, she definitely made the gear noise that seems to be common with these units during the break-in period. I have to say though, that by the end of our time on the water the noise seemed to lighten up a bit up at planing speeds. It was still a fairly pronounced noise back at idle speeds.

Also, it definitley needed a shift cable adjustment. I checked the oil and it looked good (didn't take on any water). Basically, it ran great as advertised.

Thank you to the folks at SEI - I was able to get back on the water for about half of what it would have cost otherwise. :D

Comment

If you email me at info@sterndrive.cc I can email a document to you to help you with the shift adjustment. Just put in the subject "shift adjustment".

Thanks,

Tech Support
      Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
      X