Determining Warranty eligibility + clarification on drive noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining Warranty eligibility + clarification on drive noise

1 - I purchased a boat form owner who upgraded to SEI 106 drive within the last year. I do not have the original sales receipt. Is there any way to determine if this drive is covered under warranty?

2 - In sifting through the threads it seems like clattering noise when steering hard port or starboard is a common behavior for these drives. My drive does this as well. Only while in the water. I can't reproduce this in my driveway. Assuming that the drive is not still under warranty, is there a technical document describing how to fix?

Please give the warranty department a call with the serial number and we will let you know about the warranty status.

The noise could be the u-joints. The easy way to fix it would be to replace them. The other possibility is that the gimbal bearing is not installed properly.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Since the drive has about 20 hours on it, I would be concerned about spending 400 bucks on new u-joints and having the same problem.

I don't believe the problem is the gimbal bearing as that was just checked by mechanic.

Are there instructions for determining which if either of these is the cause? Should I be concerned about waiting until the end of the fishing season to attend to this?

Thanks,
      PK

Comment

If a mechanic has inspected the gimbal bearing to see if it is seated all the way in then the problem should be the u-joints. You can inspect the u-joint assembly for signs of rubbing on the yokes. Also inspect the u-joints themselves for end play in the yokes. You should not have more than .010" movement.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X