New SE106 Installed. Slight issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SE106 Installed. Slight issue.

Fit and finish is great. Looks and runs great. Much quiter than the clunker I had on there. I am only having one problem and I dont know that it is drive related. But it was fine before. Here goes. When you put the boat in reverse the engine dies. If you do it quickly, it wont die. I dont know if its idleing too low or what. Its so much quiter that I cant tell if its just a quiter drive, or if it is idleing different. Should I adjust the idle on the carb? Shift switch out of adjustment? If so, how do I check that?

The motor had to be pulled 2 weeks ago. The gimbal ring and steering shaft were shot. Put a like new, low hour complete transum assembly on the boat. Then droped the motor back in. So it was completely gutted for a day. Could something have gotten off, or out of adjustment. It was all done at a reputable Bayliner dealer. They tested it all before I picked it up, but it may only show its face when its in the water with a load on the prop. Picked the boat up friday and ran it on sunday for 4 hours or so.

Thanks in advance. 1990 Bayliner 2651 Ciera Sunbridge Cruiser

Clay

When shifting into gear you always want to do it in one motion without hesitation. Slow shifting will wear out the clutch dogs and can stall the engine as you are describing. Another possibility is your lower shift cable may be nearing the end of its life and binding slightly.

Tech Support

Comment

I always shift in that manner. Maybe you misunderstood what I ment. I have to shift it into reverse suddenly while pulling the throttle way farther back than I should have to. Much further than any other boat I have owned that had this Mercruiser/alpha setup. Close to half way back. I can have it in neutral and pull the throttle back 3+ inches all in one movement, and it will die. If I pull it back further, just as fast, it will not die. But the boat will lunge. The cables were inspected and checked out ok. The Shift cable came with the transum assembly I mentioned above. The entire unit had 100hrs on it.

Comment

Clay,

Please send me an email and I will send you a PDF file on shift adjustments. It sounds like something needs to be adjust or your remote is having a problem. tech@sterndrive.cc

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Email sent. What is the remote? Throttle lever?

Comment

Yes, the remote is your helm control.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X