Shift Shaft Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Shaft Question

I just received the upper unit that I ordered, and when I was putting it together I noticed a few differences between your unit and my original Alpha 1.
    :?: - First (and of the most concern to me), the hole in the upper unit where the shift shaft is installed is much larger than the hole in my Alpha 1, so when I bolt the whole thing together, there is space all around the shaft. The shaft is still stationary and functional, but I'm concerned about the gap - Is it OK for water to get into this part of the drive? I'm thinking that it must be ok to some degree, because on my original unit there is a hole right next to the shift shaft that would obviously allow water into it, and there's a small open drain hole at the base of the lower unit that drains this section of the drive. However, I'm not SURE, so I wanted to double check with you. So, my question is - do I need to buy some sort of grommet or insert to fit into the shift shaft hole, or can I just let it be?
    :?: - The other question that I have has to do with the new impeller that I installed. After squeezing the impeller into the pump housing and attempting to reinstall the cover, I was having a hard time telling if the cover was sealed and on tight enough. What happens if the housing leaks? Would that be a huge problem? I didn't want to tighten it too much because I was afraid that I'd crack the housing cover.
    Thanks - I appreciate your help!

Oh, one more question:
    :?: - Once I have the entire unit bolted together (before reinstalling on the boat), how hard should it be to turn the drive? It turns, but it's very stiff and takes two arms.

Comment

You can just leave the shift shaft hole be, it is not a problem.

For the impeller, I usually put the impeller on the shaft first, and then rotate the driveshaft while installing the water pump housing. You need to rotate the shaft clockwise (while looking at it from the top).

The housing will crush before it cracks. Just snug them up, and make sure to tighten the screw at the back last.

The new drive will be stiff. Not only are you turning all the gears and bearings, but also the impeller, which i'm sure you noticed is very tight.
      Let me know if you need anymore assistance, and sorry for the late reply.

Tech Support
      Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
        X