lower unit mishap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit mishap...

Was at the lake sunday/monday and picked up a vibe.... come to find out, my prop had picked up a trailer tie down off the bottom and the hooks and clasp on it beat my lower unit up pretty good. ive got a big section of my cavitation plate broke off, and there are a few spots on the fin below the prop and just above the prop where metal is missing and its pretty chipped up etc.... My question is, should i check into getting a new lower unit, getting a piece welded onto the cav. plate and just buff the rest out and paint... my insurance deductable is 1000 bux, so no help from them. my boat is an 05crownline lpx.. with a 5.0mpi mercruiser... any help would be great! thanks all!

If you can get the cav plate welded economically and do the rest yourself you should be OK. I would check and make sure your prop shaft is not bent. If it is then you can consider purchasing a new lower.

Tech Support

Comment

well.. my boat is pretty much new, even though ive had it 2yrs i dont even have 30hrs on it. im thinking about selling it, so do u think it would be best to try and replace the housing, or get a new lower unit, or perhaps just get it welded it and do the buffing etc myself?

Comment

I would just repair the unit and repaint it. It would be hard to get your money back replacing the lower if you are going to sell the boat.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X