Lower unit shaft boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower unit shaft boot

Questions: I recieved my new lower Unit se 116. upon removal of my old lower unit I found a boot seal cover(not sure of real name of part) which slide over my lower unit shaft (shaft that fits into upper housing) which covers the seal going into the upper lower housing. Do I place this cover over the new shaft? What did this cover do because I don't see it on you installation guides? Boat 1991 4.3l alpha one gen II. If I put in on the new lower unit will it cause my upper unit to leak?

Also I assembled my new lower to my upper and I see water coming out between two bolts on left side of outdrive, Oil coming out the small hole on left side, oil in prop housing and oil leaking from my shift shaft. If oil is leaking from my shift shaft will that oil show up down in the prop housing?

By the way I pressure tested - held 14 psi for 24 hrs and vacuum tested - help 8 inches for several hours before removing.

Is the mercruiser performance gear oil ok to use in this drive?
    Last edited by rschupp; 09-11-2007, 07:18 AM.

The seal you are describing sounds like the installation tool for the slinger on the shaft. It is only used to push the slinger down to the correct height on the water pump housing and does not need to stay on. If your drive holds pressure and vacuum you will not have any oil leaks. You should check it again. Check the halves assembled, and if you have a leak, check the halves separately to determine which one is leaking. The Mercruiser high performance gear oil is what we recommend using in your drive.

Tech Support

Comment

boot on lower shaft

It did not look like the oil I put in the drive. I'm wondering if its oil coming from my engine?

Comment

If you are starting the motor for the first time since winterizing, it could be oil built up from fogging the motor. If not you need to see a mechanic.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X