New SE 106 outdrive owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SE 106 outdrive owner

When my '84 Alpha upper gearcase lower driveshaft cooked with the lower unit having already been rebuilt a couple years back and just installing a new 350/260HP GM last year I decided to go with a new outdrive.

I found very little "bad press" on SEI and after spending about two weeks procrastinating I ordered a new complete outdrive through Dockpartner.com who provided not only free shipping but included the install kit too for only $1195 plus tax!

Delivery was timely. Top and bottom units arrived within two days of order. Packaging was great and all parts were included just as represented.

Having been a Mercruiser owner for about 20 years the install was nothing we haven't done before. I have a drive-shower on the way from Simreck and already had an inner transom mounted gearlube resevoir for my old Alpha we hooked back up.

We now have the first two hours on the new SE106. We are hearing different sounds than what came out of the 23 year old Mercruiser outdrive. These will probably diminish as break-in proceeds.

We (my son and I) are doing break-in time on Lake Weir located in Marion County Florida just south of Ocala where we live. We spent 30 minutes on the hose then 1.5 hours on the lake today. Shifting is clean and crisp into for/rev.

We putted around doing 5 knots, 10 knots, 15, etc. for a while never letting it stay on a set RPM for more than 5 minutes per the break-in guidelines. At 2200 RPMs we were doing about 19 MPH we went to 2600 RPMs briefly but didn't stay there but a minute or so. We didn't check the GPS or Loran but figure we put about 20 miles on the unit.

We plan to do this again tomorrow weather/work permitting and will post further updates! Please send t-shirt!
    Last edited by Willie Hayter; 09-23-2007, 09:11 PM. Reason: T-shirt request!
Working...
X