Prop Shaft End Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Shaft End Play

I purchased two 116 upper and lower units last spring. The boat seemed to perform well all summer with exception of the RH drive being a little difficult going into gear. I figured it was due to a problem with the shift cable probably hanging up. My marina just pulled the boat out, so I could winterize it. The oil out of both drives looked good, but I noticed that my LH drive has no end play on the prop shaft that can be felt by hand and on the RH drive I can move the prop approx. 1/8" in and out. I'm guessing that this isn't a good thing. Do I need to pull the lower unit off and ship it back? Also would this affect how the unit goes into gear?

If your port side drive is a counter rotation drive it will have little to no end play. You can remove the shift cable from the motor shift bracket to see if it shifts easily by hand. If it is stiff, remove the drive and try shifting the drive by hand turning the brass shift shaft. If it shifts easily the problem is your shift cable. If the drive is hard to shift by hand call our technical department at 727-461-0811.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I found my shifting problem. Looks like the cut out switch was out of adjustment. I'm going to adjust it and see how it does next season. I appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
      X