Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

zinc, lower unit drain plug, quality control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zinc, lower unit drain plug, quality control?

Hi,

I just installed the 116 lower unit and have a few comments and questions. Firstly, before assembly I inspected the unit and found a big glob of yellow glue on the oil passage O ring. I know the glue was installed to hold the O ring in place but it was too much and would have interfered with the sealing surface unless cleaned. Also the rubber dam behind the water pump was 3/8 inch above where it should have been which I reseated. You might want to include these checks in your instructions. It would have been nice to know the speedo connection fitting also needs to be replaced during the order process. My zinc above the prop does not fit and the SEI cutout for this would seem just a bit too small.

Also the lower drain plug does not fit flush with the housing with the forward edge of the plug head higher than the trailing. Can you tell me if this is typical of your lower units? I am hoping that the sealing surface is OK so as not to allow water intrusion or an oil leak, so far there is no oil leak. I'll be testing the unit this week and hope it functions well. Otherwise it is a nice appearing unit and the price is great. Thanks.

Sorry the assembler got a little carried away with the glue on the quad ring. The water pump dam will push down to the correct height when the two halves are mated together. Our drain plugs do sit at a slight angle to the outside of the case but we have not had any sealing issues. The shift bushing we use matches the later style for the Alpha Gen 2 and requires the 22-860382 adapter and is mentioned on the flyer we include with the drive.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X