Upper Unit Required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Unit Required?

I have a 1992 outdrive with serial #0D638177, and it also shows ratio 1.84R stamped on the label. I noticed water in the lube and I just pulled the unit off and split the halves. I'm not sure how long water has been leaking in. The lower unit driveshaft (splined shaft which enters upper unit) has a large amount (~1mm) of lateral movement at the bearing, and the seals in the oil seal carrier are shot. My questions:
    1) Which lower unit do I need?
    2) Will it come with a new water tube coupling assembly (water tube adaptor & 2 orings)?
    3) Is it a given that my upper unit is also shot due to shared lube, etc. or is it possible it is still ok?
    4) What is the easiest way to inspect the integrity of the upper unit?

When the lower unit is separated from the upper the drive shaft will have lateral movement. The shaft has to be pulled up to seat the tapered bearing into the race to stop lateral movement. This occurs naturally when the unit is in operation under load. If possible you should pressure check the two halves to determine where the leak is. If replacing the lower you would need our number 90-116-02. It comes with the complete water pump but does not have the water tube that runs to the upper. Your upper unit should be inspected. See if it turns freely by hand with no tight spots. You can remove the top cover and inspect the gears and bearings for wear or water damage.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X