New 106's - Superior Experience - helpful tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 106's - Superior Experience - helpful tips

I just installed a new pair of SE 106's in our 1985 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer. Being used in the sometimes extreme weather conditions of Michigan's Lake Superior, we will try to keep our post updated as we go.

Experience so far:
    Very pleased with the knowledge and answers obtained when I originally placed the order. Shipping was quick.

Assembly of the drives went very well. It would be great if the installation kit included replacement washers but the old ones cleaned up fine. The teardrop shaped ground strap/washer, taken from the original drives, had to be altered slightly to match the new drive hole pattern. With the hole in the drive also larger, they were attached with a bolt, nut and washer instead of screwed directly into the drive like the originals.

During installation I initially had a problem that was easily corrected. Engines are aligned perfectly but both drives would not slide in the last 1 1/2 inches. From the grease markes on the shaft, I thought it might be the O-rings not wanting to compress into the gimbal bearing - not so. Turns out the new gimbal bearings were rotated slightly out of alignment. Frustrated with the struggle, I re-installed the alignment tool and pulled it both up-down and side to side. Both drives then slid right in with little effort. To help keep the shift lever aligned, a bungie chord was used to put tension on the propeller to keep it from coming out of forward gear - a big help. A dry land test run was done and everything appears to be working properly, shifting etc.. I'll post a follow-up when it sees the water.

Put to their first real TEST

Well we have just about hit our 5 hour break-in point over the 4th of July weekend. We had come in off a rough day on Lake Superior late Sunday when a distress call came in of an overturned sailboat. With Coast Guard over 45 minutes away and people in the 52 degree water we headed 5 miles back out. Pushed the drives much harder both there and back with the situation, they performed great. Everyone was brought in safely, just slight hypothermia.

Very pleased with the performance on both SEI Outdrives at this point.

Since running them we have just needed to mess with the shifting and "cut-out" switch adjustments. Overall everything is going great. One drive has a deep whine at slower speeds but that is gradually getting quieter.

Comment

Working...
    X