Alpha Shift Cable Lubrication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Shift Cable Lubrication?

My Alpha shift cable is starting its third season and I checked its movement without anything attached to either end. It was about 50 degrees outside but I thought it was a bit stiff (I should have made a mental note to myself when I put the new one in). I decided to pull the cable out from the outer sheath and I wiped it down and put it back in. Almost half the friction was reduced. If I remember correctly the new cable manf. advised no lubrication. Does anyone have any recommendations on lubrication (or the lack thereof)???

It is recommended not to grease the cable. I think the reason is that grease can actually gum up and make it stiffer. I have heard of people using a graphite powder on the cables, but have not tried it myself, so I would not recommend it.

If you have it pulled apart enough to pull the inner wire out you probably could figure out how to replace the whole cable assembly. Although most people wait until it is a problem before replacing the cable. Usually what happens it it starts to get stiff and kicks out the shift cutout switch, which will kill the engine.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Last season I think I had 3 situations where the cutout killed the motor, ofcourse like they all say, it always happens in front of a thousand people at the Tiki Bar! But I am a conservative docker and the only thing that happen was a real dirty look from my First Mate. (WTF are you doing!) Anyhow the cable was only on its second season and certainly not worn out. I only run about 100 hours a year and I am not shifting alot, like sking or fishing like that...strictly cruising. So I have to wonder whats really going on. Clearly it must be some kind of lubrication issue ( maybe it is lubed at the factory with the super secret mercruiser lube......) and yes I researched other places which said not to lube the cable at all. I will let you know how it turns out.........

Comment

Working...
      X