SE116 Metal in gearlube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE116 Metal in gearlube

I had a replacement lower unit sent to me last fall and at the same time I purchased a second lower unit for the other side. Unfortunately I had some engine problems develope a couple weeks ago. The mechanic doing the engine work for me noticed that there needed to be some work done as far as bellows, shift cables, etc and when he drained the drives they found metal chunks in the gear lube of both drives. I had mentioned that they were fairly new and there may be some shavings in the lube and they siad that this was not metal shaving but metal chunks of fairly good size. I believe they should both be replaced. What do you think?

Metal chunks are an indication of gear or clutch problems. I would inspect the upper's gears by removing the top cap. The lowers would have to be disassembled to inspect.

Tech Support

Comment

The mechanic has looked at the top half of one drive and all looks good up top. He is willing to talk to someone from Sterndrive Engineering to let you explain what they see. Could you have someone call Nort Bay Marine at 586-725-2628. Tell the secretary that you need to talk to Dave or Todd regarding what they found in the lower unit of my drive.

Thanks
      Dale Hardy

Comment

We will contact the marina and talk to the mechanics.

Tech Support

Comment

What has happend to this case, and what´s the reason for metal in the gearlube ?
          I am 100% a danish Viking....:)

Comment

We do not lap our gears before assembly. We let the gears lap themselves in during the break in period. This process produces fine metal shavings which are not a concern. The marina was to examine the metal from the units and contact us with the serial numbers if they felt there was chunks of metal in the lowers.

Tech Support

Comment

The lower unit has been sent back. I do not have the tracking number but believe you should have recieved it by now. Any status on it yet?

Comment

We have not yet received the unit as of 11:20 this morning. It will be in house 2-3 business days once we receive it.

Tech Support

Comment

I understand the drive was recieved on Monday somewhere around noon. Has the drive been looked at yet and if so what is the verdict? Would also like to have the return shipment shipped to North Bay Marine if possible rather than to my house.

Comment

The unit had chipped clutch dogs on the forward gear. This is usually due to high idle or slow shifting. We are ready to ship the lower. Please email warranty@sterndrive.cc with the new shipping information. Include a phone number along with the complete name and address.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the quick response and repair.

Comment

Working...
                      X