Kinked Water Hose on Alpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinked Water Hose on Alpha

Once again I am struggling with the water hose on my alpha between the drive and the transom. This year I shortened it from about 14 to 13 inches trying to get better flow, however I think I may have made it worse. Does anyone have any tips on this? Actually, I am thinking about trying a new approach with using a pre-formed heater hose with a 90 degree bend in it. My auto parts supplier has such a hose in stock with 4 and 13 inches on each side of the 90 which might work out if properly trimed. What do you guys think about this idea?

The only time I ever had problems with the hose kinking was if I didn't have the hose installed all the way on the fittings. I have never had to shorten the hose.

On some boats it seemed as the the hose was kinked when turned all the way, but I've never had any complaints from any customers. I would think as long as you aren't driving in a circle it would be okay.

Are you sure you are using the correct hose? It is a double walled hose, and if your using just an automotive replacement hose it may not be thick enough.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Hose Kink

You bring up good points. I do believe that my hose is auto grade heater hose and perhaps this is not good enough. However I have seen both 13 and 14-inch lengths recommended for this application. As you have stated in your post, the time when you have seen a problem is when the hose was not pushed on all the way. To me, this amounts to not much more than an inch...So I ask what should be the right length-13 or 14 inch? Also how much of a problem this really is, or more accurately, how would one ever know if it is a problem or would one just assume that it is a weak drive pump and just replace the pump. It is almost impossible to assess the problem separately. As far as I’m concerned the system is a bit under designed and needs all the help it can get. As soon as the water hose goes through the transom it transitions from 3/4 inch to 1.25 inch. That right there tells me something is fishy! I welcome any of your thoughts.

Comment

If your water hose is from an auto parts store, then I would say that is the problem.

From what I remember, the overall lenth was 13.75 for the 5/8 I.D. and 14 for the 3/4 I.D. hose.

I happen to have both hoses in my office, and the 5/8 hose measure correctly, but the 3/4 hose measures 14.25. It would be safe to assume there is a little bit of leeway one way or the other.

If you get the right hose, I think all your problems will go away.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Thanks for confirming those measurements! Seems like my hose is too short now. This is the first time that I have seen a special kind of hose recommended. I just came back from West Marine and did not see the the hose nor have I seen the hose listed in any of my catalogs. Sorry to sound like a back yard mechanic on this one!

Comment

The 5/8 hose is part # 32-32461
            The 3/4 hose is part #32-41725 33

They should be available at any Merc dealer, or give me a call at 727-461-0811 and I'll get you set up.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X