How long should these drives last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should these drives last?

I have 2003 Searay with a 5.0 liter pushing an Alpha One GenII with a 1.62:1 final gear ratio. I had a strike to my lower unit in 2005 and the lower half was replaced by the insurance company with a new Mercury lower. 18.5 hours later the upper drive ate a set of gears. The insurance company replaced the entire upper with an SEI upper #32052. 8 hours later the upper gears failed. Sent the upper to SEI, they sent it back after reworking it. 10 hours later the upper fialed again. Upper is currently at SEI.

Yes, the lower was flushed and reflushed to remove contaminates each time.

Yes, the engine alignment was double checked each time.

Yes, the proper breakin procedures were strictly adhered to (especially the second time around).

My insurance company has finally ordered an entire new (not reman) drive from Mercury.

A warranty is great, and SEI is giving me no problems on reworking the drive parts, but I want to use my boat. I don't have enough vacation time as it is and I don't want to spend anymore of it without my boat.

Sorry to hear of your drive problems. Many factors can contribute to a gear failure in the upper drive. It is possible that all the contaminates were not removed by flushing the lower. It is best to diasassemble and thoroughly clean the lower unit. Upper gear failures are generally due to improper lubrication or improper break in. Manufacturing and assembly errors can also lead to failure, although these problems are usually evident within a short time.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X