water stream coming from hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water stream coming from hole

Hello, I installed my new 106 and hooked up the muffs for cooling and noticed when running that a good stream of water comes from the 1/4" hole on the lower unit, forward on the starboard side just above the gear "bullet". I use to have an R drive and it never did this. The water coming out is cool, not hot like the exhaust water. Just wondering if this is normal for this drive or is something wrong.
    Thanks
    Jeff

It is certainly possible for water to be coming out of that hole. That area is all open so any water including exhaust would drain in that spot. My only concern would be if it was the intake water leaking. Did the boat seem to run normal temperature. Is it possible that you did not get the copper water tube lined up properly when assembling the upper to the lower?

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

I have only ran it on the muffs, and temp was good - 165 to 170. Hot water is coming out of the exhaust through the prop so I believe the copper tube is set (everything seemed to line up and go together smoothly). Also the stream of water coming out the side is cool, same temp as the hose muff water entering the unit. This is a big stream, flows out about 2' to 3' from the drive and at least 1/4" to 3/8" in diameter. I think something is wrong and will pull the lower half off this weekend to see if something slipped or ?? I believe the hole drains the area where the shift shoe is located but this is a powerful stream comming out, not a trickle or drip.
      Jeff

Comment

Pulling it apart would be a good idea. There are two grommets that seal the water tube. One at the top and one at the bottom. Also make sure that the tube did not get crushed. If it was out of round it could leak.

As far as the water pump goes, you could double check to make sure the nuts are tight and that the slinger is installed on the top of the water pump housing. I can't think of any other way for that water to be leaking.

The temp could look good on a hose, but once you put it in the water it may heat up on you, so that is something to watch for. If it is sea water cooled it probablyhas a 143 degree thermostat in it, although someone could have put a 160 in, so that could explain the temp that your seeing on the gauge.

Let me know what you find,

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Last night I removed the lower, check the water tube - it was set in both grommets and they are good, tube not out of round, I pulled the upper tube flange thinking maybe I cracked it on install, it was good. The only thing I found was the water pump housing nuts were very loose (could almost hand turn) so I tightned to 20-30 in lbs (closer to the 30 side) so I am thinking that is it. I wasn't able to run it, but will this weekend. I do have the 143 stat but my motor has always been a 160 runner on muffs and 155 in the ocean. I will not be able to get in the water for about 2 weeks, but will update you on Monday on the muff test this weekend.
          Thanks for the help and I will keep you posted.
          Jeff

Comment

I ran it on the muffs this weekend, now only a 3"-4" stream comes out and it is hot when the engine reaches temp. So it has to be exhaust water now, my guess is it hits the top water pump housing and some deflects forward and out the drain hole. The reason I have not seen this before on my old drive (R) is the drain hole was corroded almost shut, just a pin hole. Temps are normal, water flow good, etc. I will run it in the ocean in 2 weeks for salmon fishing and see how it does. For now I am thinking it is ok.
            Jeff

Comment

Thats good to hear, let us know if you need anything else.

Tech Support

Comment

Will do and thank you for the help / input.
                I also want to add that so far I am very happy with the outdrive, looks well made, great support service, and the price just can't be beat :D
                although I guess we'll see if I am still happy in 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc.
                Thanks again
                Jeff

Comment

Working...
                X