Drive Slipping Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Slipping Problem

I have a se116 on a Donzi 16 with a 5.7l mercruiser and over the past month the drive has started to slip. I am pretty sure it is not from cavitation as I have not changed the prop and I didn't have any problems before. I purchased the boat in December and the guy I bought it from said the drive had a 3 year warranty so I was trying to see if it is still covered and the serial number is 17060. Any idea on what could be wrong?

If it is acting like a slipping clutch in a car, then I would suspect the engine coupler or the prop.

Tech support

Comment

Here is a good link on the subject; http://www.sterndrive.cc/vbforum/sho...hlight=coupler

Tech Support

Comment

it looks like the splines are okay inside the coupler, is it possible that the rubber around the metal tube could start slipping around the metal tube? basically it started slipping at high rpms if you would get on the throttle quickly, then it started slipping more frequently even at lower rpms and now the boat will not even plane off, does that definitely sound like the coupler and is that going to require the engine to be pulled?

Comment

It is most likely the engine coupler, and yes the engine would need to be removed. If you have a rubber prop hub, I would try a different prop first, as that is an easy check.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X