Speedo connector for new vs. old Gen II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo connector for new vs. old Gen II

I just received your SE116 lower two days after ordering.....what an amazingly quick processing time and ship cycle!

I understand from a notice that was included in the package, as well as several posts in this forum, that the SE116 uses the "new" shift bushing and requires Merc Part# 22-860382....how do I determine if I have the "old" or the "new" style on my existing lower (boat/motor was purchased new in 2001) that I can reuse to install the new lower prior to beginning the replacement work? I'd rather have all necessary parts so I can wrap this up on the first attempt without discovering that I'm missing parts or purchasing parts that aren't needed.

Thanks for any insight that you can offer!!!!!

I went searching for a picture but couldn't find it. The newer style fitting is like a quick coupler. It snaps onto the shift busing almost like an air hose quick connector. It is usually black in color with a white release button. The older style is just a white fitting that you insert and twist.

Tech Support

Comment

Speedo connector for new vs. old Gen II

Thanks for the prompt response. I understand the difference between the old and new fittings....my question is:

Is there a way to distinguish which type of fitting was used in my existing/old lower unit prior to seperating the lower from the upper....or is it kind of like Christmas and I just get to be surprised by what I find when I open it up?

If there are no external distinguishing characteristics on the casing of the lower unit that can be used to determine the answer to the above questions, when did they change from the "old" style to the "new" style (year, serial number, etc.)?

My goal is to make sure that I have all the parts needed prior to starting the work without buying extra parts (such as this speedo fitting) if they can be scavanged off of the old lower unit and reused.

Thanks!

Comment

The easyiest way to tell is to trim the unit up, and stick your head under there. You need to disconnect it before you remove the drive. If you have the newer style you will press a button to disconect it, if it is the older style you will twist it and pull up.

I do not know if there is a model year or serial number break for the newer style.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X