Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpha 1, Gen 2 outdrive problems... rebuild, or buy new one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha 1, Gen 2 outdrive problems... rebuild, or buy new one?

Hello! About two years ago (To busy last year to try and get fixed) I was driving along about 20 mph and the boat just all of a sudden stopped and would just rev up... no prop spinning. Well, after I got it home I had a friend who knew about boats pull the outdrive and we discovered that the gear oil for the outdrive had leaked all out then leading to the two top gears in the upper unit to completely strip out. He has since moved and left me with a boat that has no outdrive! So my question is... should I buy a totally new outdrive or take my outdrive that I have now up to my local boat shop and see how much they will repair it for me (I assume it's just the two transmission gears, but for all I know there could be some lower unit damage as well... but I hope not!)

I really don't want to spend an arm and a leg and the outdrives I found on ebay average around $1,200. Do you think it would cost me less to take mine in and have it repaired?

Need some suggestions... I believe what I have is an Alpha 1, Gen 2 outdrive... It's off of a 93 Mariah Talari Z... 4.3 LX engine. I have the serial #'s if you would like me to post them if that would help out.

Help a brotha out... I miss the lake! :( :cry:
    Live it UP...! !

Serial #'s...

I'll go ahead and post the serial #'s if that will help out with any info. ya'll can give me....

The Engine serial # is 0d848189 and the drive serial # is 0d879727

Thx again! :D
    Live it UP...! !

Comment

You could certainly take yours in and get an estimate, although the cost to rebuild your upper will likely be close to the cost to just replace the whole drive. Another option, if your lower is okay, would be to buy just the upper from us. We sell it for 695.00

Tech Support
      Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Reusing a lower unit

Tyler:

Just make sure that there are no metal filing in your lower unit before you decide to re-use it. My drive and driven gears melted down last weekend, for the same reason, and I when I took it apart, there was all kinds of metal that had made its way down into the lower-end.

I think that the shaft bent too.

I opted to just buy a new outdrive.

Comment

buy the complete unit from SEI and have a great season. A rebuilt will cost the same or more and you still have many used parts in it.

Comment

Working...
          X