Replaced Lower Unit...Now Hear Whirring Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced Lower Unit...Now Hear Whirring Noise

After hitting something in the river last year that put a baseball sized hole in the leading edge of my Alpha One lower unit, I had it replaced with an SEI 116 unit by my local shop.

Before the replacement you could hardly tell the engine was running when under way at wake speed. Now you feel vibration in your feet and the steering wheel and hear a whirr, whirr sound. The top speed is still fine.

Could the shop have done something wrong in the replacement or is this just how the SEI replacements sound? It's very noticeable and annoying.

(I've tried two different props thinking the prop may not be balanced but there was no change)

BT Doctur, was this post supposed to apply to this thread? I don't see the relavance considering it is the OP's first post?

Now it`s an Alpha, before it was a Bravo, now I`m really confused
    Same answer, a complete unit or a lower?
    The upper may still have latent damage all the way to the coupler.
    Last edited by Tech Support; 07-02-2009, 01:36 PM. Reason: Not sure if this was meant for this post.

Comment

Our units are generally a little louder at first, but they do quiet down after the 10 hour break in period. I doub't the mechanic did anything wrong. Hopefully the bimbal bearing was checked before the drive was put on. That could cause a growling type noise if it is bad.

Tech Support

Comment

On another site but it`s word for word . First it`s a Bravo II , now it`s an Alpha. Was confused as to what drive or part of he actually had replaced.
        nothing was mentioned about checking the upper for internal damage from the underwater strike.

Comment

I corrected the thread on the other site. It's an Alpha One and only the lower unit was replaced.
          Last edited by philliamp; 07-03-2009, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X