Shifting Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting Problem

1997 Chaparral. 5.7 Liter Mercrusier. SEI replacment outdrive. Original outdrive was Alpha 1, Generation 2.

I drove the boat this morning to the fuel dock. Everything was working normally all the way there and back.

When I approached my slip at home, I shifted into neutral, but the boat stayed engaged in forward. I then attempted to shift into reverse, but there was no reverse; just a grinding noise, like the clutch dog was not engaging.

The boat finally did go into neutral, once the shift lever was well into the reverse range.

Any ideas what might have happened to my shifting mechanism?

Any help is appreciated.

It would be possible for the shift spool inside the unit to loosen up which could cause your problem. I would call the warranty department with the drive serial number and they can get you fixed up.

Tech Support

Comment

I had the local repair shop look at the problem. They stated that the shift cable was way out of adjustment. They said it was about 1 1/2" too long. They were suprised that it ever worked, being so far out of whack.

The adjusted the cable and say that everything seems to be working for now.

I will pick the boat up this evening and get the SEI serial number.

Do you still suspect a shift spool problem?

Comment

It is possible that it was just the shift adjustment. If not, you will find out. Just let us know if you decide you do need to send it in.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X