Brass shift shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass shift shaft

In my old drive(alpha one) there is a metal sleeve inside the brass shift shaft hole. In the new upper unit the sleeve is missing. I don't see one in the install kit. Does the unit need to be exchanged?

No, we do not use the stainless steel sleeve. Just go ahead and install brass lever.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Shift Shaft Bushing

Funny, I had that same question last night. I called the Merc dealer that I know, and he said that Merc abanoned the bushing a while back on Alpha drives because it caused binding. He said that acted like bad shift cables, and they found that it worked better without the bushing.

I installed my new drive this morning with a friend that is a retired marine mechanic. It took about 45 minutes, start to finish, including waiting for the bellows adhesive to set.

Lo and behold, the shift interrupt problem that I was having before is fixed--apparently thanks to the lack of that bushing!

So far so good!

Comment

Working...
      X