My SEI experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My SEI experience

I purchased an older boat for my family to enjoy, doing as much research as I could to hopefully get a problem free experience. I settled on a 93 Crownline 182 br that had been garage kept and by all appearances very well maintained. To my dismay, on our second voyage, the lower unit locked up while going full throttle across the lake. I searched around for the best place to get it repaired, wanting to save as much money as I could, as I didn't have a lot of free money after purchasing a boat. I settled on Southern Lakes Marine in Bedford Indiana. Cory, their mechanic, helped me diagnose which component of my Mercruiser Alpha One Gen 2 outdrive had gone bad. It ended up being the uppper section of the outdrive, and Cory suggested that I should replace both sections in case shavings had damaged the lower unit as well. Cory informed me that I could go with an OEM Mercruiser outdrive or and aftermarket SEI model. He told me that the Mercruiser was about $1000 more expensive and that I would receive a 1 year warranty, but if I went with the SEI product that it would be cheaper and I would receive a 3 year warranty. I researched reviews on the internet and found nothing but good reports on the SEI product. The only negative I did find was that the SEI had more gear noise than the Mercruiser. I have not experienced this, mine is nice and quiet. I followed the break in instructions to the T and so far all is well.

Thanks!!

Michael Conway
Working...
X