Thread: Advice Needed: New Outdrive

Default Advice Needed: New Outdrive

Hello,

I own a very nice (nearly classic) 1966 Sea Ray SRV170 runabout. This triple blue boat still has the original power train which is the 110 HP Mercruiser/Chev 153 cid engine and EZ outdrive without trim/tilt. Needless to say, both engine and outdrive are tired and in need of refurbishment/replacement. I am considering everything from rebuilding the engine and adding a new outdrive (if possible) to a complete repower.

My question is whether SEI can provide what I need to mate a new outdrive to the original engine. What opinions are out there as to other options I may have? Thanks in advance. - Jim

With a boat that old, you would need to replace the complete transom assembly. Then you start running into problems with bell housing not matching with inner transom plates. You are best off purchasing a complete new power package such as this: http://www.dougrussell.com/Products/...ory=6&Brand=70

The only part I would be able to help you with is the drive, if you are going to try to piece together a power package.

Tech Support

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a complete repower is the better way to go. Any idea if the transom adapter plate sold by Mercruiser would be an effective way to deal with the larger cutout (I believe its larger) used by the older design? Here's a link:

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/pro...A-1,25647.aspx

Thanks!!

The adaptor plate that you listed is to convert an old Volvo cutout to a Mercruiser.

In your case, the transome cut out should be correct, although you may have to trim it slightly in the steering area and you will have to drill a couple of extra holes if you move up to a Gen II drive.

Tech Support

Great...thanks again. Additional trimming and drilling holes are no trouble. Take care! - Jim