Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New SEI 116 makes loud gear noise in forward or reverse

Hi,

I recently purchased a SE 116 from PPT (Oklahoma). The mechanic who installed it lake tested it and informed me that it was very noisy at low speed, and that he suspected that it may be shimmed incorrectly.

I also lake tested it running it in forward and reverse, and under a number of throttle settings including full power. The drive makes a loud gear noise in either forward or reverse (but not neutral) at low speeds. The gear noise seems less at 3/4 to full throttle, but this may also be due to louder engine noise.

A good friend of mine is a longtime merc mechanic and former Merc factory sponsored race boat owner. He also used to own a large boat dealership. He says that if the drive is noisy that it is likely making metal shavings which will circulate through the gear lube and lead to an early failure of the drive.

I love the fit and finish of the SE 116, and would love to see SEI be successful with this drive, but I'm worried about the unit I purchased.

If it were a used drive, I would probably have it disassembled, inspected, and re-shimmed, but since it is under warranty I cannot do that. I'm considering running the drive for 10 hours this next week, and then draining the lube oil to check for metal shavings.

How would you suggest that I proceed?

Don W.

Don,

We will certainly stand behind our product. After you put the break in hours on it, check it out, and if you are still concerned give our warranty department a call.

727-461-0811

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

That is what I wanted to hear. I'll go ahead and run it for ten hours or
      so and check for metal in the gear lube. If it looks like it is "making metal" I'll give you a call.

Don W.

Comment

Similar issue with noise

I have a gear noise issue as well, but mine is constant, forward, neutral and reverse. The noise transmits throughout the entire drive and it's difficult to pin down a source. I've already spoken with one of your techs on the phone, but he's scratching his head as well. I bought 2 of your lower units a little over a year ago and I'm really hoping it isn't the culprit. The drive was quiet at first, but after dewinterizing this year and getting ready for the lake we noticed it. Neither my mechanic nor myself recall it making this noise when winterizing last year. Gimble bearing has been replaced, shift cable and all bellows too. I need help guys!

Comment

If both drives are standard rotation you can try swapping the drives and see if the noise transfers with the drive. If it does you can then swap the lower units and see if the noise transfers again.

Tech Support

Comment

We're doing that tonight. Will the drives behave differently under full load? Right now, we've just been running it on the trailer troubleshooting.
            Will a few more hours under load help everything break in? I really doubt I've put more than 5 or 6 running hours on the drives since I bought them from you.

Comment

Now I'm really confused. It got late, so we just decided to reinstall the drive and lake test it. We started the engine up and almost no noise. No adjustments were made. What's up with that?

Comment

The drives do perform differently under load. The lower unit drive shaft needs a small amount of load to push it up fully into the upper bearing and give the proper gear backlash. Go ahead and perform the break-in procedure.
                You should not have any problems.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                X