Ventilation issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ventilation issue?

I had a friend help w/install and he forgot to put on the thrust washer when installing the prop. Part way through the break in period I spun a hub. It was when replaced the hub (and prop) that I noticed the mistake. Unfortunately the prop "ate" into the lower unit housing causing a larger than normal gap b/w the prop and housing.

When I went to go back out to test the new prop, I couldn't get up on plane. I have thrust at low speeds, but when I try to throttle up it just seems like I am plowing through the water.

I don't think the coupler is bad b/c there is no smoke or burning rubber smell. it also doesn't overheat. My hypothesis is that the exhaust is escaping around the base of the prop (due to the damage from the lack of thrust washer) and causing the prop to lose thrust b/c it is spinning against air, not water.

Am I way off base here, or is there another possibility I am overlooking?

Anyone? Tech Support....

Comment

My first thought would be that the prop is incorrect. Double check to make sure it is the same pitch and diameter as the old prop. If the prop is correct, then it would seem possible that it may be ventilating from the housing being chewed up, however we have had several people leave off the thrust washer, and we haven't had anyone say their boat wouldn't get on plane anymore.

Tech support

Comment

I am positive it is the same prop. It has the same model number.

The ventilation is simply a theory b/c I can not figure out what else it could be?

Any suggestions on any where else to look?

Comment

Are the engine rpm's shooting way up and the boat is not going? It could be the coupler splines as opposed to the coupler hub, but it should over heat if you run it for a few minutes while it is slipping.

Maybe it is the fact that the housing is chewed up. Is the prop chewed up also? if so you could try a different prop and see if that help.

It should also be under warranty, so if you want to send it back to get the housing repaired, just give a call to the warranty department with the serial number.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X