Loosing forward under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loosing forward under load

My SE106 is 3 yrs old and has been good until last weekend. I pulled wakeboards for a while then switched to tubes with extra kids and while getting on plane lost all forward drive. Engine is running fine and RPMs went lost forward drive. Drive will go into forward/reverse as normal and is OK until put under a load and then engine RPMs go up. I unloaded boat and can almost get on plane. I watched driveshaft off coupler at back of engine and driveshaft go ups with engine RPM so I don't think it is the coupler. My son was able to get boat on plane with only him in boat and make couple laps around cove before putting on trl. I suspect a bad prop hub or lower unit problems. Haven't drained oil yet to see if have any metal. ??

It is most likely the prop hub or the coupler. See this thread for more info: http://www.sterndrive.cc/vbforum/sho...hlight=coupler
    Tech Support

Comment

I can see driveshaft at rear of coupler where it goes thru transom and it appears to be staying with engine RPM. Never had a prop hub fail, but if so, would it be possible for hub to slip only with heavy load but then work fine with light load ? I pulled prop off and can't tell by looking at it. Hopefully it is the prop hub because I have a extra S/S prop to use.

Comment

That is usually how a rubber hubed prop failed, and also how a coupler fails. It works fine with a light load and eventually as the load increases it slips. Then you slow down and it will grab again. Over time it will slip with less and less load.

Tech Support

Comment

Update: Problem was a spun prop hub. SE106 drive still running good going on 4th summer.

Comment

Working...
          X