weer sound from a new outdrive SE106

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weer sound from a new outdrive SE106

3 days ago i bought a new outdrive SE106.Today i put together the lower and uper unit i filled in the oil and put it at the boat.I started the boat and a weer sound was coming from the outdrive.I discarded the previous outdrive just for overheating reasons.The sound was a continuous ZZZZZZZZ maybe the new impeller? but i have changed sometimes impeller in the past and can't remember so loud noise.The gimbal bearing? One day ago i took out the boat and didn;t have that sound and i turned by hand the gimbal bearing and it looks good.What maybe that sound?The crosses?the grease was evident.What do you suspect? The dealer is far enough and hasn't other SE106 1.50:1 in strock

I've just read some other threads that say they are a little noisy during the break in period.I hope i belong to this category.

Comment

Most likely it is just the normal noise thay make before they are broken in. it probably sounds like a whine.

Just do the proper break in and then change the oil at 10 hours. You can expect to see some metal on the lower drain plug magnet. It should be small pieces or flakes, no chunks.

Tech Support

Comment

We get a whine from 2,200 to 2,400 and have about 8 to 10 hours on the new lower unit. This weekend will be our last of the season, and I will change out the oil when we get home, so will have to wait until next year to see if the noise diminishes.

Comment

whine

My se106 was noisy, whine or such. Over time it has almost went away. My first oil change 8 hrs had some metal on the plug. Second oil change @ 100 hrs and the outdrive is almost quite as the orginal. I installed my outdrive spring 2009. It was noisy for the first 40 hrs or so then started to quite down and now at about 108hrs of running is fairly quite.

Comment

bought mine in summer '09...noisy to a point of scary at first but with further use.... drive is getting more quiet
            1975 Grady White
            165hp Mercruiser

Comment

Working...
            X