my experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my experience

If the lower unit is coming loose from the midsection, it sounds as though it is not being torqued to specification during the installation process of the drive.

I do apologize for the situation with your shaft. Our prior quality process was to make sure that a new OEM crank would fit our shafts. We have since learned that due to tolerances, this technique does not work 100 percent of the time. We have since changed our quality control process to eliminate this issue in the future. Once again we are sorry for your problems.

Tech Support

my experience

Not sure why my experience was moved to the 416 forum...maybe to hide it...i dont know...anyway, here it is again with an update.

So far, my experience hasn't been that great. I order a 416 and when I got it, the splines of the driveshaft would not fit up into the crank. I had to sxend it back and I was told they were .007 of an inch off. I guess that makes a world of difference. I now have a new one that should arrive today, but my concerns have grown. I just saw a report on www.wmi.org about a guy fishing Weiss Lake who had his SEI Yamaha replacement come unbolted on all but 2 bolts and dropped 3 inches. It cracked his midcase in the process. He said it has happened 3 times. I dont know the guy from Adam's house cat, but he is from or around Guntersville. Of course he was dogging SEI and talked about how all the mechanics were saying to not use SEI and that they were junk...blah blah blah. I havent had a chance to actually operate mine, so I can't say good or bad, but I am very worried. (I got a VERY raw deal from a mechanic who tried to rebuild my LU. After 2 months of nothing but problems, broken gearcases, and lies, I was out $1100 and still didnt have a LU....so I am nervous as it is about anything working)

UPDATE: I got the lower unit back and it fits this time. I will get some lube in her and get her on the water ASAP
    Last edited by justinchandler; 05-26-2010, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      If the lower unit is coming loose from the midsection, it sounds as though it is not being torqued to specification during the installation process of the drive.

I do apologize for the situation with your shaft. Our prior quality process was to make sure that a new OEM crank would fit our shafts. We have since learned that due to tolerances, this technique does not work 100 percent of the time. We have since changed our quality control process to eliminate this issue in the future. Once again we are sorry for your problems.

Tech Support
      Its not a problem.....can over torquing the bolts cause his LU to drop like that...seems to me that you would want to get it as tight as possible (at least 29 foot lbs.) .....another question...is there suppose to be a seal between your lower unit and the midcase?

Comment

If you tighten it as tight as possible there is a good chance you will strip out the aluminum in the midsection. I would tighten it to the proper specs, don't overtighten it.

There is no seal between the units on the mounting surface, however there may be a rubber seal that seals the exhaust tube to the lower housing depending on what motor you have. If it is needed it comes with the lower unit.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          If you tighten it as tight as possible there is a good chance you will strip out the aluminum in the midsection. I would tighten it to the proper specs, don't overtighten it.

There is no seal between the units on the mounting surface, however there may be a rubber seal that seals the exhaust tube to the lower housing depending on what motor you have. If it is needed it comes with the lower unit.

Tech Support
          Sounds good....I will make sure that they are tight but I wont overtighten them....thanks for your help.....I really hope I can put an end to this 2 months of misery....im glad i finally got smart and bought a new lower unit instead of using that crook mechanic i had

Comment

I didn't see this thread initially, just the one you posted in the 416 section. The posts were identical, so i merged them. I will add my response from the 416 thread and remove that one.

Comment

Working...
            X