Outdrive installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdrive installation

I' ve inherited my dad's prized 24' Sea Ray. It has twin Mercruiser 140's. The right side engine was rebuilt and I reinstalled it. Now I'm trying to reinstall the outdrive. I've borrowed an alignmnent tool but can't get everything aligned. Have lowered the front of the engine to try to help with alignment. Engine rear doesn't seem to have adjustments. Had foot on all but one inch but couldn't seem to get on the remaining inch. Suggestions?

install

Did you replace the rear mounts with all the components?
    just went thru that. Motor mounts collapsed over the winter.
    Do you have the merc manual?

Comment

Shaft alignment

Didn't replace any mounts on the rear. It appears there is no adjusment on the back end of the engine (end closest to transom). The left hand engine is at a higher position than the right hand side when I began trying. By that I mean the front of the left hand engine is higher. Maybe raise the right? Still can't get the alignment tool in. Would the actual shaft go in easier or do I keep tring with the tool first? Was I actually "in" when I got it all but an inch?

Comment

check page 34 in this link for the rear mount assembly.There are no adjustments in the rear, just tighten down. alignment MUST be correct or the couopler will fail.
        http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Install/gas/86419602.pdf

Comment

shaft installation

Still no luck. I've taken the engine as high and low as it will go and points in between and still can't get alignment tool in all the way. Will the shaft go in easier than the tool? Have been tapping on this tool half a day and must not be at the correct angle. I'm moving the gimble at different angles trying to get it lined up but not sure how hard I shut be tapping the tool. Any more tricks?

Comment

Check to make sure that the transom is solid. If it is weak, then it might be impossible to get the alignment correct.

Also as BT Doctur has pointed out, you need to make sure the rear mounts are not collapsed.

In the past, I have had good luck just lifting the front of the motor, at the eyelet right in the middle, with a forklift and chain nice and slowly untill the tool fits, then raising the nuts up to meet the mount. This works especially nice if the mounts are currently uneven as lifting it from front and center will lift it evenly.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X