What's going on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's going on?

Recently purchased SEI lower unit for Yamaha 150. Went to replace lower unit oil after 10 hour break-in period and found water in unit. About a teaspoon of water immediately spurted out and then the oil came with milky white lines in it. Please tell me this is something I can fix without going through the pain and expense of removing the unit and sending it back for repair. What would be the first thing that would cause a leak in a new unit like the one I bought? Is it more than likely the prop seal? Thanks.

There are alot of seals in the lower unit and I would hate to guess which one is the problem. The beat thing is to pressure check it and see where the pressure leaks out. If it is determined to be something simple we could send the part. Just give the warranty department a call.

Tech support

Comment

So you're saying I'll need to find a outboard mechanic to perform a pressure test? What's a rough guess on the cost of having it pressure tested?

Comment

If you can just take the lower to them, then it would probably just be a minimal charge. If they have to remove the lower, then it might be an hour or so. Considering the cost of labor in some areas, you might be better off just sending it in.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          If you can just take the lower to them, then it would probably just be a minimal charge. If they have to remove the lower, then it might be an hour or so. Considering the cost of labor in some areas, you might be better off just sending it in.

Tech Support
          More than likely I'll just remove the unit and take it to someone locally. Can the seals for my unit be purchased at SEI? I've looked around on the site and can't find them. Thank you.

Comment

We don't advertise the seals seperately, but we can put something together if needed. Just FYI, all of the individual parts are interchangeable with the OEM as well.

Tech Support

Comment

Hopefully the problem is solved. Pressure test revealed two separate leaks. First leak was the seals under the water pump and second leak was the o-ring under the water pump. Repair price wasn't so bad since I drained lube, removed unit, replaced unit, and refilled lube myself. Total cost of repair was $134.95 (includes lower unit lube). The inconvenience and down time was probably the most frustrating. When something is purchased new, I believe it is resonable not to expect this sort of thing. Followed 10 hour break in period as directed by SEI. I'm hopeful this was an isolated incident and from here on out I'll have years of problem free boating with the SEI lower unit.

Comment

Curious to know how it turns out I have had similar problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffsrig View Post
                  Curious to know how it turns out I have had similar problem.
                  It's funny you ask. Just returned home Sunday from a three day tournament and discovered water in the lower unit again. This is starting to get old quick. This will make the third time in less than three months that I've had to remove the lower unit for repairs. I'm wondering if there could be a flaw with the lower unit that is causing the seals to go bad???

For Tech Support:

What is the turn around on a lower unit sent in for warranty repairs? Can I be guaranteed to have the unit back within two weeks?

Comment

We typically have the unit in-house for 3-5 business days, so it just depends on where you are at for shipping time each way. To start the warranty process, just give us a call at 813-925-7127 and ask for Warranty. Please be sure to have the serial number available when you call.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                      We typically have the unit in-house for 3-5 business days, so it just depends on where you are at for shipping time each way. To start the warranty process, just give us a call at 813-925-7127 and ask for Warranty. Please be sure to have the serial number available when you call.

Thanks,

Tech Support
                      I live outside Raleigh, NC.

Comment

By the way, based on my location, what do you estimate it will cost me to ship the unit back for repairs? You guys cover the shipping cost when returning it to me, right? Thanks.

Comment

So that is two days each way, so it should be doable. I would think the shipping cost should be around 50 or less. We do take care of it on the way back.

Tech Support

Comment

Unit received back within 10 days of shipping it to SEI via UPS. Great turn around time. However, work order said case and seals replaced. Unfortunately the case was not replaced and don't really know why it should have been unless there was a flaw in the case that was causing a poor seal somewhere. Called SEI about the work order and talked to Phil. Of course he doesn't know why the case was not replaced or why it was supposed to be (he had the same thing on his notes - case and seals replaced). Phil was very nice and helpful. He told me that SEI would pay to have it shipped back if unit was still taking in water. Will have the boat in the water for three days next Fri, Sat, and Sun. (Aug. 27-29). Will check unit for water then. If still taking in water will contack SEI for further instructions. If it is necessary to send the unit back I hope the turn around time is just as fast as the last one because I'll need the boat again Sept. 11th. Thanks for the great customer service up to this point.

Comment

No water found after last trip. Hopefully my issue has been resolved.

Comment

Working...
                              X