Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SE 300 lower compatible with Cobra lower?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE 300 lower compatible with Cobra lower?

I was wondering if the SE 300 series lower unit could replace the lower unit from a 1988 Cobra 5.7L outdrive? I assume the shift cover/linkage would have to be swapped, as well as the water pump housing (ie, remove the new lower's pump and replace with the old Cobra non-pump housing). But other than that, would the SE 300 lower bolt-on and work?

The driveshaft is different, and once you swap that top cover under the water pump the shimming would be off in the unit. Also the propshaft is different, so the thrust washer wouldn't work. We certainly wouldn't warranty anyone trying to do this swap.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      The driveshaft is different, and once you swap that top cover under the water pump the shimming would be off in the unit. Also the propshaft is different, so the thrust washer wouldn't work. We certainly would warranty anyone trying to do this swap.

Tech Support
      You're right about the driveshaft differences and top cover shimming....I hadn't thought about the shimming part.

But when I checked OMC part numbers, it appears that the propshafts are the same between the V8 Cobra lower and the 1985-1990 V6 Outboards (both part number 0395209).

Comment

Working...
      X