Gear lube leaking from water intake screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear lube leaking from water intake screen

I have a new 305, hasn't been in the water yet, and I just noticed gear lube dripping from the water intake screen. I'm assuming this is bad, but hoping otherwise. Anyone?

I assume you have installed the upper shaft? That is obviously where the seals seal. Also depending on the condition of the seal area on the upper shaft, you may need to try to clean up the shaft or purchase a new one. Finally, you might have damaged one of the seals if you had a hard time getting the shaft in.

Tech Support

Comment

The shaft was clean when it was installed and it went in without any problem.
      I guess I'll pull the lower unit tomorrow and investigate.

Comment

Update

Ok, so I pulled the lower unit and water pump and everything looked ok. So i pulled the intake screens and the little allen head screw under the screen is leaking. It was loose and the allen head portion of the bolt is almost completely stripped out. Pics attached. I guess I'll call in the morning and have them send me a new screw and a new water-pump gasket.

Comment

I apologize for the issue. Please call the warranty department in the morning and they will get those parts sent right away. Please have the serial number when you call so we can try to figure out what happened.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks admin! I'm glad someone apologized! Just called and they are sending a new bolt, going to check on the gaskets, although based on his demeanor, I'm not holding my breath. Good thing I didn't ask for my $5 bucks back for the wasted quart of gear oil!

Comment

Since they are sending me a new bolt I thought I'd work on getting the old one out, but no luck.
              It turns freely for 5 or 6 revolutions then stops and with the striped allen head I can't get it any further. Can anyone confirm that it's suppose to come out? Or is there a trick? Ugg

Comment

Yes, it definitely should come out. A left hand drill bit would be my first try.

Tech Support

Comment

I received the new screw and a replacement gasket yesterday, but still have not had any luck getting the old screw out...

Comment

It sounds like it will need to come back then, give the warranty department a call to arrange a pick up.

Tech Support

Comment

Ok, I got the screw out! I used a dremel to cut a slot in the head of the screw then used a large screwdriver to muscle it out. It looks like the threads on the tip of the screw where munged up.

Next Question:
                      When I run it on the hose it makes a ticking noise every second or so when it's in forward or reverse. Is this normal and is it ok to run it in gear while on the hose? I did, for about 1 minute in and the lower unit was HOT to the touch. Is this also normal? Sorry to be a worry wart just don't want to get stranded with the family aboard...

Comment

If it is only clicking in gear, then I would suspect that it is just the clutch making the noise. I would put it in the water and see if it goes away.

Tech Support

Comment

Yes, if it only does it in gear, it is the backlash or play in the clutch teeth that makes the noise. If it does it in neutral, then it would be the shift adjustment.

Tech Support

Comment

Bad day

3hrs into the break-in process the outdrive went clunk clunk and now it's permanently stuck in forward. Pulled the drive and the shift rod feels like it's still shifting but the drive stays in forward. Ug.. Looks like I'll be calling for a replacement tomorrow.

Comment

Update

I drained the oil in the drive and found lots (chunks) of metal....
                              On the plus side SEI is paying for shipping and it's going back today.

Comment

Working...
                              X