Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear lube leaking from water intake screen

Ok, I got the screw out! I used a dremel to cut a slot in the head of the screw then used a large screwdriver to muscle it out. It looks like the threads on the tip of the screw where munged up.

Next Question:
    When I run it on the hose it makes a ticking noise every second or so when it's in forward or reverse. Is this normal and is it ok to run it in gear while on the hose? I did, for about 1 minute in and the lower unit was HOT to the touch. Is this also normal? Sorry to be a worry wart just don't want to get stranded with the family aboard...

If it is only clicking in gear, then I would suspect that it is just the clutch making the noise. I would put it in the water and see if it goes away.

Tech Support

Yes, if it only does it in gear, it is the backlash or play in the clutch teeth that makes the noise. If it does it in neutral, then it would be the shift adjustment.

Tech Support

Unhappy Bad day

3hrs into the break-in process the outdrive went clunk clunk and now it's permanently stuck in forward. Pulled the drive and the shift rod feels like it's still shifting but the drive stays in forward. Ug.. Looks like I'll be calling for a replacement tomorrow.

Default Update

I drained the oil in the drive and found lots (chunks) of metal....
    On the plus side SEI is paying for shipping and it's going back today.

Just got my repaired lower unit back. Going to put it together this evening and take it out tomorrow to start the break in process over. Wish me luck...

Angry Lower Unit #2 down the drain

10 minutes into my third trip out on the new lower unit and boom, crunch, crunch.
    Total hours on drive =6

I'm at a loss as how to proceed and very unhappy!