Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gear lube leaking from water intake screen

Default Gear lube leaking from water intake screen

I have a new 305, hasn't been in the water yet, and I just noticed gear lube dripping from the water intake screen. I'm assuming this is bad, but hoping otherwise. Anyone?

I assume you have installed the upper shaft? That is obviously where the seals seal. Also depending on the condition of the seal area on the upper shaft, you may need to try to clean up the shaft or purchase a new one. Finally, you might have damaged one of the seals if you had a hard time getting the shaft in.

Tech Support

The shaft was clean when it was installed and it went in without any problem.
    I guess I'll pull the lower unit tomorrow and investigate.

Angry Update

Ok, so I pulled the lower unit and water pump and everything looked ok. So i pulled the intake screens and the little allen head screw under the screen is leaking. It was loose and the allen head portion of the bolt is almost completely stripped out. Pics attached. I guess I'll call in the morning and have them send me a new screw and a new water-pump gasket.

I apologize for the issue. Please call the warranty department in the morning and they will get those parts sent right away. Please have the serial number when you call so we can try to figure out what happened.

Tech Support

Thanks admin! I'm glad someone apologized! Just called and they are sending a new bolt, going to check on the gaskets, although based on his demeanor, I'm not holding my breath. Good thing I didn't ask for my $5 bucks back for the wasted quart of gear oil!

Since they are sending me a new bolt I thought I'd work on getting the old one out, but no luck.
    It turns freely for 5 or 6 revolutions then stops and with the striped allen head I can't get it any further. Can anyone confirm that it's suppose to come out? Or is there a trick? Ugg

Yes, it definitely should come out. A left hand drill bit would be my first try.

Tech Support

I received the new screw and a replacement gasket yesterday, but still have not had any luck getting the old screw out...

It sounds like it will need to come back then, give the warranty department a call to arrange a pick up.

Tech Support