before install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• before install

just received the first drive unit ( very nice ) we will be recomending these to all our customers as an option for replacement ,just one thing to aviod any problems ,before installation the water pump housing and base plate SHOULD BE LUBRICATED.
    this will ease installation of the housing over the impeller and also prevent impeller burn on startup of any new unit- overheating issues on new units or impeller replacement . I would recomend that this be done at the factory during assembly of the units this should keep warranty issuses at bay on this subject. these look like the way to go to save money as the OEM replacements are triple the price . GREAT PRODUCT - Boater Services
    Boat Tech67

Every time I install a drive I pour some regular A/F in the water inlet to lube the impeller.If the drive is installed dry, the impeller vanes could flip backwards because you turn the prop to align the shaft ever so slightly.

Comment

good thinking Doc but dont the atf can damage the rubber makeing it too soft,best to use 2-4-C or just some all purpose grease. if ya ever need hit me up I have a large library and will forward any help I can give to a fellow boater and tech.
      Boat Tech67

Comment

No, regular anti-freeze, soapy dish detergent,K-Y, etc. Never any oil

Comment

opps my bad dont have my specs on Lol anti freeze is ok but a bit light merc recomemdation is 2-4-C , yam,honda and the rest is a/p grease
          Boat Tech67

Comment

Should I break down my drive and add some a/f or something. I don't want any problems and I have not installed the drive yet on the boat. The drive was delievered on friday, very well packaging btw. I was reading this post today and reading this made me think, do I need to do this. I'm new to boating and my wife will have a fit if there is another problem with thing, due to all the problems I've had in the past.

Comment

It isn't necessary, just don't run the impeller dry. Make sure and hook the muffs up and turn the water on before trying to start the engine.

Tech Support

Comment

roger thsnks

Comment

Working...
                X