play in the prop shaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• play in the prop shaft?

I have a 1999 200 merc. and the new lower unit has 5/8" of play when I rock the prop left to right, the end play look's to be good. When I run the motor out of the water theres alot of nosie coming from the lower unit when in gear, sounds like a bad to bearing???

How many hours do you have on it? Is it a 206 or a 216?

Tech support

Comment

Is it a 206

Is it a 206 when I got the lower unit, the drain & vent pulgs look to be use alot before the slots were mesh up some & the vent pulg gasket was over size & thick, I ran the 1st. 5 hr.s all in one day & when I drain the oil there was no oil just water, let it set for 24 hr.with the plugs out, then refill with new oil & use 2 std. gasket & ran for about an hr. & check the oil & it had a little water at frist then rest was milky, this time flush with hole tube of oil & let set to drain for 48, then refill & use the same 2 std. gasket on the vent plug & ran for about an hr. & recheck had just milky oil, did the hole thing one more time with just 1 std. gasket with an 0 ring & it check good for the next 2 times & have not check it since then. I have about 35 hrs. on the unit now.
      It sound like there to much nosie when the muff are on and in gear, make me think it maybe the top bearing going out.

Comment

The 206 has a floating driveshaft, so when on land and in gear, the prop may not have enough load to pop the driveshaft up, which will make the gears noisy since the pinion gear is not up all the way. When it is in the water and in gear, it will have enough load to pop it up.

If your concerned about it, call the warranty department and arrange to send it in and get it checked out. We would be more than happy to do it.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
          The 206 has a floating driveshaft, so when on land and in gear, the prop may not have enough load to pop the driveshaft up, which will make the gears noisy since the pinion gear is not up all the way. When it is in the water and in gear, it will have enough load to pop it up.

If your concerned about it, call the warranty department and arrange to send it in and get it checked out. We would be more than happy to do it.

Tech Support
          OK
          Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X