Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two months and counting! A Bad experience!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two months and counting! A Bad experience!!

The facts/timeline:

7/14/2010 Fishing line wraps around behind my prop, cuts the seal and destroys my lower unit
    7/28/2010 Emailed SEI asking which drive fit my motor
    7/29/2010 Received response fro SEI stating that I would need the se305
    8/10/2010 Ordered se305 :)
    8/23/2010 Received drive
    8/27/2010 Installed drive
    8/28/2010 Found Drive leaking fluid
    8/29/2010 Discovered loose and stripped screw under water intake screen
    8/29/2010 Called SEI
    9/1/2010 Received and installed replacement screw
    9/6/2010 1st outing, DRIVE FAILED at the 3hr mark -(chunks of metal)
    9/9/2010 Called SEI -They said to send it back
    9/9/2010 Shipped failed drive back
    9/24/2010 Received repaired drive
    10/17/2010 3rd outing DRIVE FAILED at the 6hr mark - (chunks of metal)
    10/17/2010 Emailed SEI
    10/17/2010 Found my upper drive-shaft damaged from drive failure
    10/18/2010 Called SEI - Was told that they should not have sold me the drive as SEI does not make one for my motor!!!!!
    10/18/2010 Sent drive and driveshaft to SEI
    10/21/2010 SEI received drive in am
    10/21/2010 Sent SEI an email to acknowledge receipt - No response
    10/22/2010 Sent SEI a 2nd email asking for an update - No response
    10/23/2010 This ordeal has now been going on for 60+days!! And I am OUT OF PATIENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make the call!
    Stay tuned!
    I will update this and the other forums as, if, or when things happen.

I apologize for the issue you are having. We are trying to figure out why you have had repeated failures. We have sold alot of the SE305's and have not had these types of issues. I know there was some question on the driveshaft after looking at the microfiche of your lower unit, so that is why that had you send in the upper shaft.

Given the circumstances, we would be more than willing to refund your full purchase price and also get you a new upper shaft.

Thank you,

Tech Support

Comment

A happy ending

Originally posted by admin View Post
      I apologize for the issue you are having. We are trying to figure out why you have had repeated failures. We have sold alot of the SE305's and have not had these types of issues. I know there was some question on the driveshaft after looking at the microfiche of your lower unit, so that is why that had you send in the upper shaft.

Given the circumstances, we would be more than willing to refund your full purchase price and also get you a new upper shaft.

Thank you,

Tech Support
      That would be great!
      I appreciate SEI's efforts thus far, and I'm glad that it turned out that it was the incorrect drive for my motor and NOT a problem with your drive!

Please call or email me tomorrow to coordinate the refund and replacement shaft.

Thanks

Comment

Everything is in process and we have ordered a new OE shaft for you. In doing some more research, it would appear that the newer style shaft that was on your lower is somewhat universal. It uses some new style clips that go on the shaft and click into the lower shaft, but it still has the tapered end that will grab the older style clip that is in our unit. The proper way to install it would be to remove any clips from the upper shaft, and then install the shaft into our unit using a piece of wood and a mallet to get it to clip into the older style clip installed in the lower shaft.

I think what happened in your case was that the new style clips were still installed on the upper shaft, which would not allow the shaft to go down far enough to engage the older style clip. Then when installed, the upper shaft was pushing down on the lower driveshaft which would push down on the pinion gear and not allow the pinion gear to have the proper backlash, resulting in a failed gear set.

We have now noted all model numbers that use the new style shaft, and will inform the customers of the proper clip arrangement which should avoid this from happening in the future.

Thank you, and sorry for the troubles this has caused.

Tech Support

Comment

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water.

It's been a week and I still have NOT received my replacement driveshaft or my refund!! I was told to expect both the shaft and my refund last Thursday. Is there a problem?

Comment

The shaft was delivered to our factory yesterday, so it was probably shipped out today. They were probably going to include a check with the shipment. I will look into it in the morning and give you an update.

Tech Support

Comment

Okay, I double checked. All the paper work was turned in yesterday. The shaft shipped out yesterday, and the refund is being issued today.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

I received the drive-shaft and the refund.
                Thank you.

Comment

Me again.

So I spoke with my mechanic and he did in fact confirm that he installed the clips on the uppershaft when he installed the drive. So that now leads me to the question:

Does or will this unit fit an 07 115 e-tec e115dslsuc?

The reason I ask is because after I received the refund from SEI I purchased a "take-off" unit from another online source and never received it. (maybe it's me?) Ug. At least SEI delivers what they promise!

So now that I'm back to square one I thought i should reconsider all my options.

Thanks

Comment

Is that a no? I'd be willing to doocument t the install. iwish4fish@gmail.com

Comment

Alls well that end well

I've been meaning to update this thread for a while. So here's the long and short of my story:
                      • 7/14/2010 Fishing line destroys my lower unit
                      • I purchased the original drive and had multiple issue.
                      • SEI engineers said drive not tested on my exact model
                      • Got feed up and asked for my money back.
                      • Received full refund
                      • Bought a used drive on ebay and never received it
                      • Spent a month looking at other alternatives-nothing
                      • Contacted SEI asking if they had drive that would DEFINITELY work
                      • SEI said yes if I used their driveshaft
                      • Ordered another SEI Drive with a driveshaft
                      • 12/13/2010 20 hours on drive with no problems!

Comment

Working...
                      X