Stuck drive shaft - really stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck drive shaft - really stuck

I have a 1990 Yamaha 250ETXD was getting ready to order a new SE421 lower unit to replace my orignal unit. But I can't get the old drive shaft out...

We have tried everything, yesturday we tried wedges and ended up cracking the foot so we took the next step and cut the foot off and just left the shaft sticking out.... still cant get the shaft to come out. Even put a port power on it.... is there a pin, shift level or something we are missing up top? Shouldn't it just pull out of the engine?

Anyone had this problem or have suggestions?

I am open for any ideas, want to get back on the water.
    Jeff Pettit
    Mobile, Al

shaft

nothing but a splined shaft that goes into the powerhead

Comment

Thats what I thought... but it is not coming out. Thinking about cutting a hole in the side of the housing were the shaft goes in to the motor and seeing if I heat it up if it will release. Then will have to weld the hole shut and sand and repaint motor.

Did break the shaft at the water pump after putting a 4 ton port a power on on it and pulling stright down... hit it with a hammer thought it would break free but the shaft broke.

Just cant afford a new motor at this time and sure hope I can get it lose without damaging the motor.
      Jeff Pettit
      Mobile, Al

Comment

You might want to flip the motor upside down and use liquid wrench or some other penatrant on it for a few days, give it time to loosen up. Someone here suggested wekding a slide hammer to the shaft, but I would be a bit concerned about damaging the crank. I think heating the shaft up will damage the crank shaft seals.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions... at this point ready to try anything.
          Jeff Pettit
          Mobile, Al

Comment

had the same problem jeff, find you a slide weight that weights about 10 or 12 lbs and put it on a shaft with a piece of plate welded to the bottom and then weld the other end to your old shaft that is sticking down.. work the slide up and down and after a few minutes it should begin to move.. i worked withe mine for 2 weeks with no prevail and the slide removed it in 5 minutes.. good luck

Comment

Working...
            X