Se106 1:47

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Se106 1:47

I purchased and installed a new SE106 in June and went through the break in period. I also installed a new gimbal bearing and forward seal. The engine and stern drive worked fine.
    A couple of weeks ago I noticed a vibration when in drive and on plane running at about 3000 RPM. Also once in a while the engine would backfire.
    I thought the fuel may be the problem, so I changed out the fuel. The new fuel did not fix the problem, since then the vibration has gotten much worse and the engine backfires constantly and bogs down under load. Also the boat will not plane up. If I put the engine in neutral and rev up to 3000 rpm the engine runs fine which leads me to believe there is a problem with the SE106 stern drive.
    Should I remove the cap at the top of the stern drive to see if there is any damage?
    Do you have any other diagnostic suggestions?

Revving the engine up in neutral doesn't really tell you anything about the condition of the engine or related systems (Fuel, Spark, etc.). An engine requires very little horsepower to rev up in neutral, but requires alot under the load of a boat.

You can certainly remove the top cap and look at the gears, and also check the magnet on the drain plug in the lower. If that looks good, then you need to be looking at the engine. You mentioned putting different fuel in, did you also change the filter? That can cause similiar problems if it is full of water.

Tech Support

Comment

Se106

I did check the lower unit drain plug and
      yes there were metal shavings on the magnet.
      I did not check the fuel filter for water, but I will.
      I'll also remove the upper unit drive cap for a visual check of
      the upper gear set
      Thanks Beetz

Comment

SE106 nore checks

I just checked the fuel /water filter and and found no water .
        I then removed the top cap of the upper unit and examined the gear teeth they looked fine, gear lube also fine Gave another check on the lower plug of the lower unit and found more shavings on the magnet.
        Beetz

Comment

backfiring

This would be an engine issue and has nothing to do with a drive.backfiring can be water, lean fuel mix, ethanol seperation, plugs, cap ,rotor,burned/tuliped valves.
          water ingestion can also come from leaking manifolds or risers.
          most new/rebuilt outdrives will show some metal particules during breakin.

Comment

Working...
          X