2 new SEI Drives both defective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 new SEI Drives both defective

Sorry I don't have good news. I bought two brand new Alphas late last year. Both have failed within a few hours of one another. The starboard drive sheared a shaft at 40knots and 3500 rpm. The port drive stopped going into reverse. They both failed within 10 hours of one another. Neither was abused or pushed hard.

The starboard drive had to go back to SEI twice before it was repaired. The port drive is on its way back now.

I am not optimistic that these drives will have much of a lifespan. Undoubtedly they will fail again...moments after the warranty expires.

Sir,

We are sorry for the problems. Typically a failed shaft is from impact damage, either hitting rocks, or something getting jammed between the prop and the cav plate. It can also happen from the boat getting airborne and then going back in the water with out throttling back. We did warranty it for you with no questions asked. Out of 12,000 halves sold we have only seen 4-5 broken shafts.

As far as the other drive not shifting into reverse, we will process it as soon as we receive it.

Thank you,

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Hi,

The shop here in Jax is still waiting to hear about the Port drive. Its been a couple of weeks now since it was sent back. I'd sure like to use my boat....

Do you think you can just send a new drive since this one only has about 6 hours on it?

Thanks

Comment

Sir,

Any warranties we receive we typically turn around in 3 business days. Please call me with the warranty information and I will see when it was shipped back to you.

Thanks,

Tech Support
        727-461-0811
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X