lower end shifter housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower end shifter housing

I am converting over an OMC drive and am new to mercruiser and how it looks, we are putting the two halves together and noticed a tube with o ring sticking up in front of the lower end shifter, what is the purpose of this and am I missing a cover or something, it is a SEI116 drive, thanks

That is for a speedometer fitting. You won't use it since you are doing the conversion kit. You can leave it the way it is.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks again

Comment

prop hitting anode skag

We have the outdrive in and it looks great, installing prop which is a 14 1/2 X 19 Hustler prop and it hits the skag, wrong anod/skag? It looks like the OMC skag but in your parts breakdown the anode/skag looks smaller??

Comment

If you mean the prop is hitting the zinc trim tab, some high rake props will do that. Just cut off the fin and reinstall it.

Tech support

Comment

Well do, thanks again

Comment

shift cable

I am on step six of the OMC conversion and am adjusting the shift cable, if I put the SEI drive in foward by pushing the cable in and then setting the distance between the barrel and the eyelet at 6 inches, the remote control cable is over 1" too long when it is in forward and it has no more adjustment left, any suggestions?

Comment

For starters, be sure you have the control in forward. Also take a look at the cable where it connects to the control. Maybe you can adjust it there to make up for the shortage?

Tech support

Comment

The control is in foward and it has no adjustments there.

Comment

I overheard your phone conversation today when you called in. The tech and I came up with another possibility. Some controls have more than one location to put the cable. Not the end of the cable that gets pulled in or pushed out, but the round part that gets locked in. Is that possible on your control? Also did you check the total movement of the shift cable? From full forward to full reverse on the remote, the cable should move 3 Inches.

Tech Support

Comment

It moves 2 7/8", there is a position the cable could be moved at the controls that would move the outter cable back about an inch while keeping the core the same, but wouldn't this limit the movement of the core to about 2" at the other end? I also checked the adjustment at the place where the lower end shift cable attaches but it hardly moves anything.

Comment

2-7/8 is about right. I think the spec is 3 +/- an 1/8.

I'm having a hard time picturing what would happen if you move the outer core up an inch. You may be right, and it may reduce the throw. It is interesting that you are an inch off on the other end though, so maybe it is worth a shot.

We have sold about 450 of these and have not heard of this issue. I have to assume it is something in the set up, but I am running out of ideas. Is it possible that the cable is not assembled correctly? It's been awhile since I replaced an upper cable, but maybe something isn't screwed all the way in?

Beyond that, you may just have to buy a new control that is compatible with a mercruiser.

Let me know what you find.

Tech support

Comment

Here is a thought, does the shifht cable adjustment have to be six inches? I set it at five inches and it shifts correcrtly, now the only thing that needs adjusting is the microswitch that doesn't allow the esa to operate when the boat is under power. Your thoughts please.

Comment

Hopefully the conversation with the tech guy answered your questions. Let us know how you made out.

Tech support

Comment

1st trip to the lake

Took the boat out on the water today and ran it with the new drive. A couple little issues, we got the boat to shift into forward and reverse with no problems but about 1/2 the time it has an issue coming back out gear into nuetral, yours thoughts please. Also the drive doesn't go as far down into the water as the old OMC did so the front of the boat is up and it porpoises
                              while driving, looks like the new drive hits the stops and won't allow it to go any further, have you had anyone say this before, a fix? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X