Sterndrive Engineering — Performance, Value & a Warranty all in one!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lower end shifter housing

It moves 2 7/8", there is a position the cable could be moved at the controls that would move the outter cable back about an inch while keeping the core the same, but wouldn't this limit the movement of the core to about 2" at the other end? I also checked the adjustment at the place where the lower end shift cable attaches but it hardly moves anything.

2-7/8 is about right. I think the spec is 3 +/- an 1/8.

I'm having a hard time picturing what would happen if you move the outer core up an inch. You may be right, and it may reduce the throw. It is interesting that you are an inch off on the other end though, so maybe it is worth a shot.

We have sold about 450 of these and have not heard of this issue. I have to assume it is something in the set up, but I am running out of ideas. Is it possible that the cable is not assembled correctly? It's been awhile since I replaced an upper cable, but maybe something isn't screwed all the way in?

Beyond that, you may just have to buy a new control that is compatible with a mercruiser.

Let me know what you find.

Tech support

Here is a thought, does the shifht cable adjustment have to be six inches? I set it at five inches and it shifts correcrtly, now the only thing that needs adjusting is the microswitch that doesn't allow the esa to operate when the boat is under power. Your thoughts please.

Hopefully the conversation with the tech guy answered your questions. Let us know how you made out.

Tech support

Default 1st trip to the lake

Took the boat out on the water today and ran it with the new drive. A couple little issues, we got the boat to shift into forward and reverse with no problems but about 1/2 the time it has an issue coming back out gear into nuetral, yours thoughts please. Also the drive doesn't go as far down into the water as the old OMC did so the front of the boat is up and it porpoises
    while driving, looks like the new drive hits the stops and won't allow it to go any further, have you had anyone say this before, a fix? Thanks

I emailed you a picture regarding the amount of trim down. You will need to modify the housing a little more in the area shown in the picture.

Regarding the shift, I believe you have fuel injection. What is the idle rpm? It should be 550-650 RPM. The other issue may be the way Omc stumbles the engine. When you shift out of gear, the shift cutout switch should stumble the engine. Make sure that is happening. Also, if you have a normal coil with the + and - marks, you may want to try hooking the shift cutout switch up a little differently. Run one side of the switch to ground, and the other side to the negative side of the coil. This will eliminate the alarm momentarily while shifting, instead of just stumbling the engine.

Tech Support

Thanks for the picture, my housing is cut down like the one you sent me, how much more can it go? I will put the kit on and get back to you after a trip to the lake, don't remember the idle speed.

I would just cut it back a 1/4 inch at a time and try running it. You don't want to much negative trim as that will handle poorly if you just leave it down all the way and run at speed.

Tech support

I will try it, will let you know how it went in a couple weeks.