Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New leg won't install - Yamaha 200 4 stroke

Hi,

Having trouble installing the new leg on my F200 4 stroke. The unit stops sliding up around 1/2 to 3/4 inch short of touching. The main spline feels engaged, the gear selector shaft is engaged, and it is not the water pump outlet as this is greased and the thing that is stopping it going further is a hard, mechanical restriction preventing it going all the way home. Any ideas?

I suspect that the shift linkage is not engaged into the splines. If you look at the female end, you will see that the splines are recessed. I would suggest removing the shift cable under the cowling, then have someone wiggle the linkage as you try installing the lower unit.

Tech Support

Comment

New leg won't install

Hi, the shift link is definitely engaged, I can shift the gearbox from the throttle controller. The mechanical resistance seems to be further back, it almost feels like the main shaft is 1/2 inch too long.......does the main shaft engage into two different splines at the base of the motor, or only one?

Thanks,

Comment

Sorry for the late response. I tossed it around with a couple of guys here, and we really only have a couple ideas.
        Everyone was still falling back to the shift shaft, so please double check that. Another item is the alignment pins. Sometimes they will get stuck in the midsection, then when you try to install the new lower, the new alignment pins won't go in all the way.

Beyond that, I don't think there would be anything up in the crank or driveshaft splines that would stop it. It wouldn't hurt to inspect the splines though, make sure there is no damage.

Tech support

Comment

New leg won't install

Hi,

The pins are not quite touching, so it is not them. It is 1/2" short. The restriction is certainly more towards the main shaft than the shift shaft. I will remove it and have a look at the splines again. Will let you know.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
          X