SE 106 corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE 106 corrosion

I had to haul my boat yesterday for a minor repair. Naturally I looked over the outdrive which had been in the water for 8 weeks. It had freckles of corrosion over both the upper and lower. I could wipe it off with my finger and could see the paint was lifting from the housings. This boat is moored in the Connecticut river In MA. I shudder to think what it would look like in salt water. This seems pretty excessive to me considering it has new freshwater anodes. Any comments?

We actually see more of an issue in freshwater, vs. saltwater. I think most people that keep them in saltwater have a lift, so it really isn't in the water. In freshwater people generally leave them in the water, then if your in a marina you may have some corrosion issues simply because of boats with bad wiring.

If you do leave the boat in the water, it may be a good idea to coat it with a bottom paint. You would need to rough it up with some 240 grit first, then follow the directions on the can. That should stop any corrosion from happening, but you want to catch it early.

Comment

OK, that makes sense. When I haul it for the season I will look it over and post back. Thanks....

Comment

Now I don't think that does make sense. I was out yesterday and it looks worse. I looked at the boats around me and they show no signs of corrosion of this amount, besides my 34 year old drive that was originally on it did not corrode at this rate or extent. When I haul it for the season I will send pictures to you folks. Nobody else coats their drives with bottom paint. I have never seen a drive coated with bottom paint. This is a shame because the drive runs perfect. I can't imagine what the drive looks like where I can't see.
        Last edited by vail426; 08-05-2012, 08:58 PM.

Comment

If it seem excessive for your area, then we will certainly take care of it. Get in touch with us at the end of the season or sooner if needed.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

I am having no luck trying to post pictures of the corrosion on this forum. I have them in my g mail, so is there a e mail address I can forward them to? The corrosion is remarkable.

Comment

I posted them to the warranty dept.

Comment

IMG_0108[1].jpgIMG_0109[1].jpgIMG_0110[1].jpgIMG_0111[1].jpgIMG_0112[1].jpg

Here we go...

Comment

IMG_0113[1].jpgIMG_0114[1].jpg

More

Comment

Working...
                  X