Impeller busted after 25 hours of use on brand new lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impeller busted after 25 hours of use on brand new lower unit

Why did this happen after 25 hours of use on a brand new lower unit? what would cause this? My mechanic insisted to bring it back to get fixed because it says there is definitely gears rubbing and its not good and will not put it back together with just replacing the impeller. and the shaft is scratched up from the impeller keyway rubbing on it.....not happy....going on vacation in one week and was going to use boat with the family with a new tube that we just got yesterday and i just shipped the unit out today... I hope it would be a quick return........

2012-07-25_17-59-49_169.jpg2012-07-25_17-59-56_119.jpg2012-07-25_18-00-06_752.jpg

I'm sorry your experiencing a problem with your SEI unit. The impeller definately had a problem. The metal on the drain plug does not look unusual, especially if you didn't do an oil change at 10 hours. I would have just changed the impeller and the lube and put it back in the water.

Tech Support

Comment

That's what I wanted to do but he said that there is something rubbing with all the shavings

Comment

Nah, that's pretty normal for the break in. We will get a look at it when it gets here.

Tech Support

Comment

Damn!!! I should have called you guys first before I shipped it, then I would have had my boat for my vacation....ups said it should get to you guys on Wednesday. If its an easy fix do you guys think it could be shipped out that same day so I can have it for my vacation? I figure it doesn't hurt to ask.. :)
          Thanks for the quick response so far..

Comment

No promises, but what is the RG number, and what state are you in?

Tech Support

Comment

I live in Massachusetts.. what is the RG number? Where do I get it

Comment

Okay, so we should have it Wednesday. The RG number is what we give you to mark on the box so we know what it is when it gets here. That's alright, we will get it figured out.

Tech Support

Comment

Ohh, It's CLAIM NUMBER RG1745-12
                  Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it...

Comment

I have here a 3.0 backed with a Merc upper and SEI 116 lower, with very few hours on the SEI lower, the impeller spun just like this one, the rubber fins/vanes are fine, so not starved for water, but the plastic "drive hub" of the impeller somehow melted, causing an overheat condition, resulting in the rubber exhaust tubes and water shutter being melted, as was the plastic water tube and plastic water tube "guide" piece. Does SEI's fault free warranty cover any of this? I have never had the plastic "drive hub" fail on a mercruiser impeller.....

Thanks
                    Matthew

Comment

I'm sorry your experiencing an issue. The sterndrive does have a 3 year fault free warranty, so the drive is covered. Please call and ask for the warranty department. Have the lower serial number available when you call. Depending on your location you may want to ask then to send the parts rather than shipping the lower to us.

Tech Support

Comment

Hi Matt,

Yes, they will cover this if it's within three years when you bought your unit. They are great about the warranty no questions asked....you will have to call the warranty dept. and get a RMA# first

Comment

Working...
                        X