Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult shifting/shift cable replacement

Hello!

I have an SE 106 on my '77 boat I purchased last year (MCM 470). I have only had it out a couple of times and have difficulty shifting from forward into neutral. I would have to pull so hard that it would often go right past neutral and slam into reverse.

From one of the posts I understand my problem is the shift cable. I did check the cutoff switch and found that it worked mechanically but was not connected electrically to anything!
    My thought is that it was constantly stalling the engine (due to the defective shift cable) so instead of replacing the cable the previous owner just snipped the cutoff wires!

I am replacing the shift cable and read in another posting that there is a document on adjusting the shift.
    I have emailed the tech dept and requested it.

My question...is the only time you can check the cutoff switch is in the water? I understand it will not function with the water muffs. The roller on the switch just rolls out of the valley of the cam and sits at a high point. This would stall the engine completely instead of momentarily (by returning to the valley).

I removed the lower shift cable from the engine plate and slid the wire cable and it seemed to be ok but not sure if just a little bit of resistance in the cable will prevent the roller from returning.

Am I on the right track?

the shift intereupt can be operated by hand to check the switch and associated wiring to confirm operation.
    switch never should move on land,only in the water with a load on the prop.
    And added resistance will jam it up.You should be able to move the shift cable with 2 greased fingers on the guide.
    starts around 1C-38
    http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6C1R3.PDF

Comment

Thanks for the reply and link.
      Have done an ohms check and switch does work although I have to check if it closes when roller lifts 1/8".
      You say it should never move on land, I take it you mean while the engine is running? I don't believe it does although it does roll out of the valley to the peak and stays there (engine off) when I put it into full throttle forward/reverse after putting into gear. My shifter is a single lever.
      I know for sure that I would not have been able to slide the old shift cable with two greased fingers!
      The new mercruiser cable is graphite coated and slides with five greased fingers.
      I will confim what my cutout switch is doing with the engine running and when off.
      Last edited by hubert; 08-21-2012, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Don't worry about what the shift cutout does with the engine not running. sometimes is going to get hung up on top of the clutch and sometimes it won't.
        With the engine running and on land, it will not engage the switch. In the water, it will engage the switch anytime you shift out of gear.

Tech Support

Comment

Great thanks.
          I'll let you know how I make out!
          Hope it's better than the first time I took it out (got 20 ft from the launch and bent the prop on a rock!)

Comment

Just got back from Killbear (Georgian Bay) and the shifting worked flawlessly! Very slight cutout allowed for a smooth shift from forward/reverse to neutral.
            Thanks for your input.

Comment

Glad we could help.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
              X