Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about alpha outdrive replacement

Recently I hit a large tree underwater. Large stainless prop

It spun the prop hub. The boat is a 1988' Searay 268DA Sundancer with a 7.4 liter stock Mercrusuiser engine.

I went ahead and had the mechanic install a new water impeller as long as she was out of the water to pull the prop. He just called and told me my outdrive driveshaft is twisted.

He also told me there were metal shavings in the lower unit oil.

My question is do you think I can get away just replacing the lower unit on the alpha or do I go with an new complete outdrive?

Despite being twisted the driveshaft still rotates and is connected to the engine. Just appears that excess torque went into it when I hit the tree.

As an aside, the tree was in the middle of the channel (Maumee river, toledo oh) and a guy with a 50' Hatteras had the stern lifted out of the water and bent his big bronze prop on it as well....so I guess I am in good company.

Thanks.

doug

With that damage, I would do the complete. It would be a bummer if there was unseen damage to the upper and you put it all together and ruined a day.

Comment

I agree, you are better off replacing the whole drive. I see it quite a bit where somebody will replace just a lower, then they are calling us a few hours of run time later saying the other half failed.

Also you may want to pull the upper off the boat, if it hasn't been already. You may find twisted splines on the yoke also.

Tech Support

Comment

this was on a Black Max outboard

this was on a Black Max outboard that hit some rocks at full throttle.the crankshaft end was ripped off the crankshaft.
        with the amount of damage you describe go for complete replacement .latent damage WILL show up shortly.

Comment

Drained all the oil. The oil pan looked like metal flecked paint. The bottom was covered with metal flakes..all tiny. No large chunks.

Getting whole new outdrive.

Comment

Working...
          X