gear oil leak@upper&lower shifter connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear oil leak@upper&lower shifter connection

After reading several threads it looks like my upper seal is bad..boat has sat for nearly 2 summers. I was wondering if I should just top off with gear oil and run it with fresh gear oil it. Will new oil rejunvate seal or do I have an issue that has to be repaired asap. Drive was new in 07. on third water pump. Boat is a 4 winns 170 horizon with the 3.0 mercruiser 140. Engine is brand new 0 hrs...cam has been run in buts thats it.
    Last edited by rodeochow; 09-07-2012, 02:17 PM. Reason: bad wording

This might help you; drive was in down position while sitting. It started leaking recently since new engine installed. I think seal dried since it sat so long in down position. Thanks

Comment

If it was just a couple drips I might be tempted to try it, but it sounds like you should replace that shift bushing. Pretty easy to do of you can seperate the halves. Just have the drive sitting level when you pull the shifter out as it will have to go back in the same. If you do it with the drive tilted the shift crank can move out of the way and make it hard to get the shift shaft back in.

Tech Support

Comment

You are talking about the upper half..not the bottom half with the water pump. Upper half is what I am talking about.

Comment

If it is the upper seal, then that would require disassembling the upper to replace it. It would be worth pressure testing the drive before tearing into it.

Tech Support

Comment

Ill fill it to the vent..run it on muffs with drive down. check for leaks. first..I hope it was just a dried out seal. I get back and let you know.

Comment

No leaks...just needed to be topped off & ran.

Comment

Working...
              X