wear pattern on yoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wear pattern on yoke

Does this wear look normal? Unit is installes in a merc I transom assembly.
    I have a rhythmic vibration under load from the out drive, that has been there since install of a complete 106 unit. I can moderate it with trim but it does not ever completely go away.Vibration gets worse when turning. Gimbal bearing was new at install of outdrive and still feels flawless. Alignment is good. I associated the noise off this with the complaints that these units were noisy when new. But after a hundred hours it has not improved. 1.47 ratio behind a 260.
    yoke.jpg

Thanks, Mike

Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to get into the office so I could look at some here. I was pretty certain that wear mark is normal, and I confirmed it today. Everyone that I looked at has those marks. Do you get any knocking sound? That may indicate the u-joints are the issue. If not, it may be a bad bearing in the upper. It shouldn't be the lower since you indicate it is worse when turning. The unit has a 3 year warranty, so if you want you can contact the warranty department and they will have you send the upper into us.

The contact number is: 813-925-7127

Tech Support

Comment

No problem on the reply. It was the weekend. Does not really knock.
      I have a quicktime video that has the audio, which would enable you to listen to it. Problem is it is 33MB. Could probably email it .
      U joints feel solid. Like I said it has done this since day one. Is there something I can do at my end to check the bearing?
      Thanks, Mike
      Last edited by indymike; 11-12-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Mike,

I think that file will be to big to email. Most email clients limit it to 10 mb. I forgot to ask, is the noise present when running on the trailer, or only in the water? The bearings are tough to check. You can pull the top cover to get a look inside. Just mind the o-ring for the top cover. Are you getting much metal filings?

Tech Support

Comment

Don't notice it on the trailer, or even at idle in gear on the water. Just when it's loaded up-getting up on plane and at cruise. Boat planes real quick, does not plow at all. The filings don't really seem excesive but they actually appear to be a mix of metal slurry and filings. Photo is from 1hour ago. just drained it. Oil is much blacker than I thought it would be, as I only put about 25 hours on it this season. Changed last fall at put up with merc hi-performance+ sae 90.

drainplug.jpg

Comment

I would pop the top cap off and see what is going on up top. You will be able to see the gears and the top cover bearing. See if anything looks worn funny. Also try to rock the drive gear as if the tapered rollers were worn. The driven gear will wobble, thats normal because removing the top cap takes away thr support.

Tech Support

Comment

I drained my gear oil and it was as black as tar. The plug also showed the same debris.

Comment

How many hours did you put on since the last change? It sounds like something is going on in there. Did you pull the top cap off and take a look?

Tech Support

Comment

I changed the original gear oil at about 18 hours. I can't have more than 30 hours on the oil I just drained which was Amzoil. I did not pull off the top cap. It functioned fine all season with no unusual noise.

Comment

Sorry been a bit preoccupied with other issues.

Originally posted by admin View Post
                    I would pop the top cap off and see what is going on up top. You will be able to see the gears and the top cover bearing. See if anything looks worn funny. Also try to rock the drive gear as if the tapered rollers were worn. The driven gear will wobble, thats normal because removing the top cap takes away thr support.
                    Pulled the top cap and did not see anything bad as far as I can tell. The bearing cup had a visible wear line that would just barely catch my fingernail. The drive gear was solid. Did not see any cupping or visible wear on the gears.

I looked a bit closer at the u-joints and I found some play in one axis along the red line in the photo. This is the u-joint closest to the drive. Just guessing, as I don't have a dial indicator to measure, but seems to be about 1/32" +/- . I pumped more grease in and still had some play. Do not have the play in the other three axis'.

I may replace the u-joint and see what happens. Won't be able to test until May though. Warranty will be out by then.

u-joint.jpg

Thanks, Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X